.

.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

BEACH Entertaining

I love to entertain.  It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized that I really like a theme party:  Mardi Gras, Halloween and My Endless Summer Party are a few that quickly come to mind.

I love to use shells on my table in the summer.  I love to collect shells and have done so all my life.  The shells that I use in my decorating are ones that I or my daughter have picked up over the years.  I guess you could call me a "Shell Snob" because I like to use my own shells.  I know almost all their variety names and can remember where I was when I picked some of them up.  Happy memories!


Here's a peek at my shell decorations.  I had a luncheon for the teachers that had taught my daughter at school this year.  Talking about some happy women!  The last day of school and someone prepares and serves you a lunch to say thank you (including homemade double chocolate cheesecake). THEY LOVED IT!!  You see, they teach high school and I have found that lots of fuss is made over the elementary teachers, but no one really makes that big of deal over the junior high folks and for sure the high school teachers are sadly over looked.





The only shells on the table that I didn't find are the starfish on the napkins. 
 The other starfish in the pictures were ones
 that we have found (Sanibel Island and Indian Pass, FL).





I decided to mix in some blue canning jars for extra color. 
 A week after this luncheon, I found two more blue canning jars in my mom's attic!! 
 One was a 1/2 gallon size.  What a find!



My friend gave me a large stack of vintage post cards last year
 and I have had fun with them.
  I put them on my coffee table last year and I decided to
add some to the table this year. 
 I really like the vintage look of the pictures of Florida from years ago.



 

I also added the names of the places where I have picked up the shells.
  All of the places are in Florida. 
 I placed my aunt's magnifying glass on the table this year, too.









I know these pictures aren't very bright.  I have the darkest house!


This jar is on the counter of my butler's pantry between my kitchen and my formal dining room. The jar sits on an old page cut out from a dictionary and it rests on an old column piece I love to use.
I like the scrabble tiles that spell out "SEA" (I bought the starfish).


I have another old column piece that I love to use.  I do different things with it several
times a year and I really enjoy it.  This is on my kitchen counter.




I took some twine and wrapped it around the glass container several times.  I randomly strung some beads, too and then threaded this shell through the twine....it's always nice to find a shell with a hole in it.  The beach sand came from Orange Beach, Alabama.


I also love to decorate with photos of my family. 
I like the picture to compliment the event or the season. 


Here's a picture of my coffee table (another dark room) in my family room.



 

I hope you enjoyed my Beach Party!

Having fun and linking up with the party:







Linking up with Between Naps on the Porch:







Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

9 comments:

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Marsha,
Your beach table looks fantastic! You have an impressive shell collection. I especially love your vintage post cards. I love collecting old ones to decorate with also. I sighed when I saw your large blue bottle and column piece. Such treasures! Thanks for following me!

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Wow this is amazing! I love all the "beach-y-ness" you have going on here...makes me want to sit down at this table or head to the beach...
Terry

Carolyn said...

I love your beachy themed party-so many pretty touches!

Carolyn

Lana Kim White Austin said...

This is gorgeous@! Your attention to detail is absolutely wonderful--I especially love the vintage photographs!

They're PERFECT!!!


Hugs/blessings,
Lana In Italy (until September!)

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Love your beach party! Using the vintage postcards adds so much interest. I was thinking they would be wonderful decoupaged onto a table for a porch. I may have to look for some! I really like how you used the twine and beads around the candle. You have such good ideas.

Calypso In The Country said...

Love all your colors and creative ideas! The post cards are such a great touch and I love the candles in the jars. I recognize those Mikasa Italian Countryside plates - love them! I am vistiting from BNOTP!
-Shelley

Tricia said...

What a delightful idea, celebrating your daughter's teachers! I know they were thrilled to enjoy a wonderful meal at such a pretty, beachy table! Double-chocolate cheesecake, indeed!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty your beachy table is. Love your shells and the post cards. Love the soft color as well. relaxing -- just like a day at the beach.

Entertaining Women said...

Marvelous shell collection and the post cards add such a wonderful touch. You've done a great job on your beachy tablescape. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay