.

.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Vintage-Style Halloween

I'm getting ready for Halloween. 
Do you decorate for Halloween?  In the last few years, I have begun to make my decorations just a little bit creepy and different than they have been in previous years.  I find it fun to create new and different looks for the holiday--it really gets my imagination going.  I like that part a lot.

So, my new look in my dining room began with this black urn that I removed from a neighbor's trash pile.  Yes.  I admit it, I saw it with that left-over, tired, worn-out little light up Christmas tree in it and I took it.  I left the tree for other scavengers, though. 


I added some tarnished silverware.

I added the little candle holder
 I got at a flea market this summer. 
It is tarnished, also.


I added this ledger from our family
business.  It is from the year 1954.
It is in great shape and all the
 entries are written in fountain pen!
I got four silver-plated goblets at a recent estate sale.
  They are super tarnished and were $1.25 each.

I thought my green soda bottle might
 look good with the new design.

There's the urn that started it all.

I already had the feather wreath
 and I thought it made the look
complete with a few black birds tossed in
for good measure.  I love the new look in my dining room!
It was so fun to be creative and to come
 up with a few new ideas.
Yes, I know I'm in the picture!  I later made more pictures without my self portrait, but the light wasn't very good anymore.  So, I'm sacrificing perfection for better natural light.
I came up with this idea for my lantern last year,
but never posted a picture on my blog.



Here's a picture of my foyer. 
I love this look!


I have some pictures of my kitchen table that I'll share now.


A holiday that centers around candy--can it get any better??






Have you done anything different for
Halloween or fall this year?


Joining the Party at:



7 comments:

Beeutiful by Design said...

Love all of your Halloween vignettes-they look great! Especially love the tarnished silver, now I know what to do with mine LOL~Jennifer

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh I so love the spooky vignette...I love how you used the tarnished silver to create that look...and what a great idea to put a mask around the candle in the lantern...enjoyed all of your very creative Halloween vignettes and decor!

Revi said...

You have so many clever ideas, and easily the best collection of Halloween decor of anyone I know! LOVE the vignette, the scrabble letters, your "surrender your treats" sign, etc. I'll bet tarnish goes against your usual nature, but it looks great with your Halloween stuff! The ledger is SO cool! Show us some interior pages, please. :)
-Revi

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your vignette, how fun is that. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/10/185th-inspire-me-tuesday.html. Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Just wanted to let you know that your vignette is featured on my blog! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop! Hugs...Debbie
http://confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.com/2013/10/20-fun-halloween-ideas.html

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Marsha, I love it all! I too would have snatched that urn up. They are super pricey. Have you looked? I mix my Halloween up every year. I don't look back on my last year blog posts until I am finished. It's fun to challenge yourself, isn't it. This year I made my kitchen table a witches lab. I have had so many compliments on it. Right up your alley. Especially love that old ledger! Great job! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Marsha, just popping in to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC this week.
hugs,
Jann