.

.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

And It Looked Like George Washington

I saw this sweet little lamb cake pan at an antique store a few weeks ago and I just had to get it.  It's one of the heavier pans (not aluminum).  Most people would use this pan to bake a cake.  Well, I bought it for a table centerpiece... and because it brought to mind a funny story my friend told me years ago.
I have a friend who doesn't cook...well she can, but cooking is kinda an "adventure" for her.  She has a nice collection of china...various patterns and all of them are so pretty.  I remember she once said, "I might not cook much, but I can get something at the store, bring it home and make it look good on my plates."   

She is one of the smartest ladies I know and she is well-versed on a large number of topics.  And her memory-wow-amazing!



So here's the story:
     Years ago, my friend was making a lamb cake using a pan similar to the one above.  The cake was going to be used as the centerpiece for her Easter table.  She had a friend over--"because I would never have made a cake alone."  So they were working together to make the cake and realized (when she took a sample) that they forgot to add the sugar to the cake.  So, they made a second cake. When they were taking the cake out of the pan, the lamb's head fell OFF

She told me that they ended up icing the PAN and using it as the centerpiece!!  She said they tied the pans together with a string and then they iced it.  She said when they finished with the lamb's ears, it looked like George Washington!

So here's how I made my centerpiece.  

I decided to start this project late in the afternoon, so I wasn't really interested in going to the store.  You can buy moss-covered wreaths in most craft stores, but I had these items on hand and I decided to use them instead.  I decided to press in the sharp edges my foam wreath--you can see how much softer the edges look now.  I just pushed in the edges with my fingers.  Then, I hot-glued the sheet moss to the wreath.  It was pretty easy to cover.  The moss shed a bit, so I was glad I did this step outside.


Then, it was time begin my Easter table design.

  This is a hydra pick. 
 You can fill it with water and then put small flowers or greenery in the small hole.   You can add flowers to spots that might prove to be problematic without the hydra pick.  I picked a few azaleas, some violas and a couple of sprigs of a kimberly fern to add some color to my wreath.

I got out this piece of hand-made lace.  
I'm not sure who made it, but I would guess it was my grandmother. 
 I know she knew how to tat.




I used a burlap charger and added my Bordallo Pinheiro cabbage leaf plates.  Yes, I think I got them with the encouragement of my friend who likes china, but who doesn't cook too often.  I added napkins with wicker napkin rings.  I used vintage silver-plate flatware.  I know I bought the silver-plate with a friend who doesn't cook too often..... It's always nice to have friends that understand that you just want things you really don't need :) 



 Here's a final look at the place setting.
Dear sweet little lamb--you make me smile for so many reasons.  
I wish you all a joyful Easter season!
HE HAS RISEN!

Sources:  chargers (Hobby Lobby), plates (Williams-Sonoma), napkins (Belk), napkin rings (Target) 
   
                                       Joining the Party:

                                                      Coastal Charm Show and Share

                                                       Photobucket
                                  



                                       
                                              Savvy Southern Style Wow Us Wednesday
                                Savvy Southern Style
                                   Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday

Tablescape Thursday

4 comments:

Revi said...

Your friend might consider shadowing you in the kitchen...:)
Have a blessed Easter, M.

Kelly said...

That's a cute and creative centerpiece! The story about the lamb cake was funny. I'm sure it still tasted great though.

Sheryl992 said...

When I was a little girl one of my friends mother made this cake every Easter for our church party so when I saw this cake mold in an antique store I just had to buy it. The original instructions came with it but so far I haven't made it. Maybe I will use your centerpiece idea next time we host Easter dinner! Thank you! I enjoy your blog so much!

The Crowned Goat said...

Marsha, I can't believe the lambs head fell off ha ha that is crazy! I love this creative centerpiece. I would have never thought to use something like this - it's so awesome! Your table setting is just gorgeous. I could eat here any day of the week :) Sending you hugs for a happy holiday weekend, Coco