.

.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Printer's Ink

A few months ago, I decided I was looking for a small change in my kitchen dining area.  I had a lovely framed print on the wall, but wanted something a little different.  I thought I might like a piece of subway-type art but most of the pieces that I saw in our local stores were almost all vertical.  I needed a piece that was horizontal.  So I looked, over the next several months, but  I came back empty handed each time. I wasn't discouraged.  I just kinda put the idea on the back burner.  

Then, I found the perfect piece for my dining area.



Yes, it's the real deal.  A printer's type tray.  No, it wasn't the deal of the day on a website.  It wasn't an amazing find at a flea market or an antique store. The tray was in storage and a piece from our local small-town newspaper that my family used to own.  When I picked up the tray with my SIL, we also picked up an old shoe box. 

So, here's what was in the box...


It was a box full of old wooden printer's type. 
 This was the real deal, too.  


So I sorted all the type out---alphabetically, of course.  
I brushed it off with a brush to clean the pieces
 up a bit.  I only wet one piece and the water
 was bluish black from ink--
 from many years of use so many years ago.
There were several different fonts
 and there were a few numerals, too.




 

I'm happy to share my vintage treasures with you today-
I hope you enjoyed seeing these relics from my past.
And, I hope you're having a great week and staying cool!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

4 comments:

Revi said...

WOW! Your family has the coolest stuff! I have always loved the old typesetting materials. Very cool!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a fun buried treasure you discovered, and a perfect spot for it too. Love the way you're displaying all the little blocks in the glass jar. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

Diana said...

LOVE your printers tray Marsha and your letter stamps too. What lovely, vintage remembrances of your families history :)

Kelly said...

I've always liked those printer trays on the wall like that. It's nice that yours is authentic too. Filling the apothecary jar with the letters was a great idea! You might could even use those with a stamp pad for fun too.