.

.

Friday, June 27, 2014

A Trophy to Cherish

I have long-admired the old trophies that I see in Blogland.  I enjoy looking at them on ebay and etsy, too.  I really can't justify spending the money for the ones that I really like.....you know....the really big ones that are in near-perfect condition, with engraving that declares some stranger's accomplishments and the price tags that express their quality and age.

Then, I realized a couple of years ago that I have my own beautiful trophy sitting quietly in my china cabinet.  A beautiful trophy in perfect condition--with perfect engraving--and one that has been polished lovingly by family--not strangers.  It is a piece that expresses the love of the giver to the recipient.


I have this lovely sterling silver ice bucket that was a gift to my great aunt from her high school students.  It has a glass insert that is vacuum sealed into the bucket.  It has a perfect lid to complete it.


It was a gift from Autauga County High School's 1925 graduating class.   My great aunt was their teacher. I would guess this gift would have been given at a class reunion, perhaps.  I don't remember asking my aunt when she received it.  But, let's say they gave it to her for their 25th reunion in 1950...that would make the ice bucket at least 64 years old! 

I have always been a shell collector and during the summer I enjoy displaying the shells that I have picked up over the years.

This year, I decided to put my shells in the ice bucket. 




I decided to keep the berry tray on my coffee table for this arrangement.  I have a picture of my daughter holding up a shell she collected during a beach visit.  I love to use seasonal pictures in my home-especially on my coffee table.


I love to add a touch or two of aqua for summer.  The antique magnifying glass came from my great aunt's desk and it is the perfect color with the shells.  And these two small aqua-colored containers were found for a couple of dollars at local flea markets. I love their soft color--they say, "Relax, it's summer." to me.



I hope this post reminds you of your perfect summer day or of a special teacher that made a difference in your life!

Joining the Party:

at
French Country Cottage


1 comment:

Revi said...

You have the coolest family treasures! Love your pops of turquoise and the photo of Jane, too. :)